It is our family tradition to have pie at 3:14 on National Pie Day (January 23rd). Although, this pie would be great any time!
This is my first attempt at making a lattice crust pie. I’m quite pleased with the results!
Gluten Free Cherry Pie
- 2 cans (16 ounces/can) pitted cherries
- 1/3 cup liquid from drained cherries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into very small pieces to dot on pie
- Pastry for double crust 9 inch regular pie (click here for Domata’s gluten free Pie Crust recipe)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain cherries reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Place both cherries and liquid into a large saucepan.
- Stir in granulated sugar, brown sugar, arrowroot or cornstarch, cinnamon and almond extract. Cook over medium-low heat until sugar is fully dissolved. Simmer for an additional minute and set aside.
- Prepare the pastry crust fitting one crust into the pie pan. Roll out the second crust and cut into ½ inch wide strips.
- Pour cherry mixture into pie crust, dot with butter and weave pastry strips on top of the filling.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes until pie is brown and bubbly.
- Cool and serve.